|Sail training ship T/S Britta in Øresund on August 21, 2013.|
This is the Swedish training ship T/S Britta going northwards in Øresund on August 21. The ship , which since 1992 is owned by Uddevalla Maritima Förening (Uddevalla Maritime Association, UMF), has an interesting history.
Britta was built at the Hällevikstrand shipyard in 1956 as a ling fishing vessel. Together with its sister ship Sandö it was the last vessel specialized in catching ling in the North Atlantic.
In the late 1980s Britta, now renamed Singapore, was used as fishing vessel in the Baltic Sea for a couple of years.
Britta, which got back its old name when it was acquired by UMF, was completely renovated in 1990s. The galeas rigged 24.8 m x 6 m two mast ship now has seven sails, totalling 350 m2 and a Volvo Penta 120A 320 hp main engine.