Tuesday 23 November 2010

Yves Montand and Les Feuilles Mortes


On a dark and chilly autumn day like today - or just any day - it feels good to listen to the great Yves Montand performing the French classic "Les Feuilles Mortes", here in a live recording from the Paris Olympia:




Yves Montand first introduced Joseph Kosma´s "Les Feuilles Mortes" in the film "Les Portes de la Nuit" in 1946. Later on it was to become one of the most recorded popular French songs. The original lyrics is by the French poet Jacques Prévert, but for the international audience the lyrics written by the American songwriter Johnny Mercer are probably more familiar:

The falling leaves drift by the window
The autumn leaves of red and gold
I see your lips, the summer kisses
The sun burned hands I used to hold

Since you went away the days grow long
And soon I´ll hera old winter´s song
But I miss most of all my darling
When autmun leaves start to fall

No comments:

Post a Comment