Friday 19 November 2010

Simple pleasures nr 2: Internet radio

I have always been a great fan of the radio as a medium. Listening to the human voice - or pleasant noises like music - is very relaxing. And you can do it with your eyes closed, lying on your favourite couch. And because radio programmes are not expensive to produce, many such special interest programmes are available, which are rarely found on television.

Through the internet you can receive literally thousands of radio stations from all over the world. I used to listen to some of them on my PC. It is, however, a rather uncomfortable way of listening. That is why I recently acquired an internet radio receiver. And I have not regretted this small investment.

Now I am able to wake up to the news (including information about "staus" on the Autobahns!) presented by my favourite German language news station, Radio B5 Aktuell from the Bayerischer Rundfunk in Munich. Or I can listen to my former favourite Washington DC local music station WETA. And the the Danish DR has an excellent 24 hour classical music service called Allegro, which is part of my daily listening. The possibilities are endlesss.

A great number of internet receivers are available. Here you can find more info on the one I own:
http://www.argonaudio.com/sound/i-net/argon_inet_1.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment