Trolle-Ljungby, close to the city of Kristianstad in north-eastern Scania, is one of the most magnificent Renaissance castles in Sweden. In the Middle Ages it was a fortified manor house, owned by the Danish Bille family (Scania was at the time part of Denmark). The present castle was erected in 1629. The west wing was added four years later, and the east wing was built in 1787.
The current owners of the castle are count Hans-Gabriel Trolle-Wachtmeister and his wife, countess Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister, the Swedish Mistress of the Robes.
Two remarkable items at the castle are the “Ljungby horn and pipe” which are on display on Wednesdays and Saturdays in the summertime in a window facing the castle courtyard . Legend tells how these remarkable items found their way to Trolle-Ljungby castle.
The Troll Stone (in the last picture) lies a couple of kilometres away from the castle.
Legend has it that the large stone, which lies right up next to a building, is connected with the “Ljungby horn and pipe”. It was here, at the site of the Troll Stone, that the horn and pipe were stolen from the troll who lived under the stone.
A beautiful medieval church is located in the immediate vicinity of the castle.