Tuesday 1 November 2011

A Tribute to Nicolai Gedda

Nicolai Gedda´s rendition of Lenski´s aria from Eugene Onegin was probably the most important introduction to the world of opera for me in the early 70s. And it still is a personal favourite, which one never tires of returning to:


Where have you gone, o golden days of my spring?...
(Full text in English here)

Gedda´s  father Mihail Ustinov (a distant relative of Peter Ustinov) was Russian, and a member of the Don Cossack Choir. His mother, whose maiden name he adopted as a singer, was Swedish.

Gedda, who has over 100 recordings of opera, operetta, oratorio and lieder to his credit, is famous also for his linguistic skills; he speaks and has performed in seven languages.

For me personally, Gedda´s Russian repertoire has always had a particular appeal. The Russian songs bring out the full sweetness of  Gedda´s beautiful  voice. I hope you agree, after listening to e.g. these:


The little coach bell rings monotonously and the coachman's sorrowful song sets my cold heart aflame ...

Remember the parting with the strange smile
Remember many things which are far and so dear
During listening the unceasing sound of the carriage´s wheels
And glancing thoughtfully in the broad skies ...

O, could I but express in song ....

I remember that magical moment
When before me you appeared
Like a fleeting vision,
Like a spirit beautiful and pure ...

(Full lyrics in English here)

No comments:

Post a Comment