Saturday 2 July 2011

Pictures from a time gone by

Sometimes, when I do not have anything more pressing to do, I choose a book from my library, which I have not opened or read for a long time. When I did exactly that today, I stumbled on a book about the United States of America, printed in 1925. The book, with the text in a minor European language, also includes a wide range of pictures of people and places.

When I looked at some of the pictures - and particarly the captions - I realized, that times have - fortunately - changed since the early twenties.

Here is a small selection of the pictures with original captions translated into English:


"Full blooded Apaches building a road in the Arizona desert"

"City negroes are much more educated than countryside negroes"

"Blacks employed by whites are waiters, drivers, train conductors etc. Among themselves many have performed advanced duties with good success"

"The offspring of a negro and an indian is called a zambo. Here a North-American zambo"


My own comment: The White House gates and fences were lower in the 20´s!

PS


I wanted to add this classical Pete Seeger song to this post. I have nice memories from the late 70´s in Washington DC, when Seeger performed this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment